* A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.
* A man of faith, honored and prosperous,
Wherever he goes he is welcome.
Like the Himalayas
Good men shine from afar.
But bad men move unseen
Like arrows in the night.
* An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.
* An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
* Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense
* Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
* Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
* Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
* Does the spoon taste the soup?
A fool may live all his life
In the company of a master
And still miss the way.
* Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.
* Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
* For a while the fool’s mischief
Tastes sweet, sweet as honey.
Bit in the end it turns bitter.
And how bitterly he suffers!
So a fool’s mischief
Takes time to catch up with him.
Like the embers of a fire
It smoulders within him.
* Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.
* He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.
* Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
* Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
* How easy it is to see your brother’s faults,
How hard it is to face your own.
* How easily the wind overturns a frail tree.
Seek happiness in the senses, Indulge in food and sleep,
And you too will be uprooted.
* However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
* I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.
* I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.
* If a man’s thoughts are muddy,
If he is reckless and full of deceit,
How can he wear the yellow robe?
Whoever is master of his own nature,
Bright, clear and true,
He may indeed wear the yellow robe.
* If the traveller cannot find
Master or friend to go with him,
Let him travel alone
Rather than with a fool for company
* If you are filled with desire
Your sorrows swell
Like the grass after the rain.
But if you subdue desire
Your sorrows shall fall from you
Like drops of water from a lotus flower
* If you are happy
At the expense of another man’s happiness,
You are forever bound.
* In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
* In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.
* It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe that lures him to evil ways.
* It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.
* It is better to do nothing
Than to do what is wrong.
For whatever you do, you do to yourself.
* Never speak harsh words
For they will rebound upon you
Angry words hurt
And the hurt rebounds.
Like a broken gong.
* One man denies the truth.
Another denies his own actions.
Both go into the dark.
And in the next world suffer
For they offend truth.
* Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
* Speak or act with an impure mind,
And trouble will follow you.
* Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.
* The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.
* The fragrance of sandalwood and rosebay
Does not travel far
But the fragrance of virtue
Rises to the heavens
* The ignorant man is an ox.
He grows in size, not in wisdom.
* The mind is everything. What you think you become.
* The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.
* The tongue like a sharp knife… Kills without drawing blood.
* The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
* The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
* The wise man delights in the truth
And follows the law of the awakened
The farmer channels water to his land.
The fletcher whittles his arrows.
And the carpenter turns his wood.
So the wise man directs his mind.
* The wise ones fashioned speech with their thought, sifting it as grain is sifted through a sieve.
* There is pleasure
And there is bliss.
Forgo the first to possess the second.
* There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
* There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.
* There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.
* Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
* Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
* To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.
* To keep the body in good health is a duty…otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
* To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one’s own in the midst of abundance.
* Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two.
* Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good.
* When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.
* Whoever follows impure thoughts
Suffers in this world and the next.
In both worlds he suffers
And how greatly
* You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
* You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
* You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself.
* Your worst enemy cannot harm you
As much as your own thoughts, unguarded.
But once mastered,
No one can help you as much,
Not even your father or your mother.